Recently a report from Canstar Blue surveyed 2000 consumers to rate their level of satisfaction in relation to a recent (in the last 3 months) hot chip purchase at McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, KFC, Red Rooster or Oporto.
What did the survey reveal?
Canstar asked about McDonalds, Hungry Jacks, KFC, Red Rooster and Oporto.
and the winner is…….
Followed by Red Rooster, KFC, Hungry Jacks and then lastly McDonalds.
Here are the state-by-state results:
- Queenslanders rated Red Rooster’s hot chips highest overall (7.5), ahead of Hungry Jacks and KFC (7.2), Oporto (7.0) and McDonalds (6.8)
- In New South Wales, Hungry Jacks and Oporto hot chips are seemingly to die for, both rated 7.7 ahead of Red Rooster (7.6), KFC (7.4) and McDonalds (7.1)
- It was a close race in South Australia where Hungry Jacks (7.6) pipped Red Rooster to top spot (7.5), with KFC, McDonalds and Oporto all rating 7.3
- Victorians were found to be big fans of Oporto, rating its hot chips 7.8 ahead of Red Rooster (7.6), KFC (7.4.), Hungry Jacks (7.3) and McDonalds (6.8)
- However, Western Australians are clearly the biggest Oporto fans in the country, dishing out a rating of 8.1 for its hot chips, ahead of Red Rooster (7.9), KFC (7.5) and McDonalds and Hungry Jacks (6.7)
So what does this mean for business owners?
Looking at these results it appears that thick-cut seasoned chips are an Australian favourite. In addition it seems like Australian’s are pretty keen to try out new types of chips. Just take a look at the menu at Grill’d which list their signature chips, sweet potato chips, avocado chips and zucchini chips. Also big on the chip front are halloumi chips and chips topped with fetta and herbs.
Have a look at this video that shows you how to make veggie wedges 4 different ways:
Have a look at some of these photos of some great hot chips you can draw some inspiration from:
Think BIG, over the top and TASTY! Maybe a new signature side for you menu?
Don’t forget to check out these Instagrammers who post pictures and locations of the best chips!
Also check out LoadedMelbourne who specialise in chips with stuff on top.